Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Review: No Strings Attached (Falling For You #1) by Nicolette Day

Firstly, thanks to Entangled Publishing for this NetGalley <3

No Strings Attached (Falling for You, #1)

Date Read: June 6 2013
Release Date: June 10th 2013
Publisher: Entangled Brazen
Source: ARC (Publisher via NetGalley)
Genre: (Adult) Romance
My rating: 

Synopsis: “She wants one night. He wants her forever.

Hayden Summers just landed the job of a lifetime taking pictures for Time magazine, but she’s determined to leave with no regrets. The first thing on her list? Erase the memory of her cheating ex with a wild night of anonymous sex. The second? Figure out why her best friend, sexy bar owner Jace Jennings, stopped speaking to her the night she told him about the job.

Jace has a problem. Hayden isn’t just leaving the country, she’s risking her life—just when he’s realized he’s in love with her. When fate traps them in the storage room of his bar together, barely contained desire simmers to surface. In one last attempt to keep her, Jace offers Hayden the one thing she wants: a night of hot sex, no strings attached. But when the night is over, will Jace be able to let her go? And will Hayden leave with her heart intact?”

---

“Nothing would be the same after this.”

No Strings Attached was an insanely sweet and cute read. It’s one of those novellas I can just take out for a light read when I need a little pick-me-up on those rainy days.

I loved Hayden’s clumsiness and the way she held her own. Her voice was funny, relatable and down to earth. Despite being attracted to Jace, Hayden doesn’t fall head over heels at the sight of him. Sure, she gets a tad fluttery on the inside, but when he suddenly starts speaking to her after two weeks of silence, Hayden tells him off and I was like “you go girl!” She’s not the type to go falling over a guy just because he gives her a bit of his attention. I also really admired how driven she was. Her job with Time magazine is a dangerous one but she’s set on it no matter what happens. Hayden doesn’t let anybody talk her out of it, and I just have so much respect for women that are career driven and independent. You go Glen Coco!

“’You haven’t spoken to me in two weeks. Not a phone call. A text. Nothing,’ she fumed. ‘You do not get to dole out a lecture now.’”

Jace was so swoony I fell in love with him instantly! Slightly arrogant but inside a total sweetheart, I want a best friend like him! He’s protective of Hayden, but not in that overbearing, possessive “you belong to me” way that’s just freaky sometimes – he definitely said stuff like that but I got the feeling it was all in a joking way as Hayden didn’t take his “caveman crap”. I likened his protectiveness to that of a big brother and I could understand how Hayden didn’t see his underlying feelings from that. I thought it was amazing how he never overstepped his boundaries as a best friend. He understood how important their friendship was to the both of them and he didn’t want to wreck that. As much as it broke my heart to see him yearning for Hayden, I thought it was also really considerate of Jace to hold back those feelings and let her do what she wanted. Or at least the poor boy tries (;

“He raised a brow, giving her that cocky expression that he knew would piss her off. He’d been perfecting it for years.”

The romance was believable with no insta-love and the amount of sexual tension between Hayden and Jace… woah I could feel it through my iPad screen. The way they would look at each other, trying not to divulge feelings, but the attraction was definitely there and I was just squealing and thinking “Please just get together”. Three words: sexy, steamy, passionate.

“He groaned and brought his body flush against hers, pressing her into the door so that all she could feel was the heat of him, warming all the places her too tight clothes were plastered against her body.”

Day’s writing style was fun, real and perfectly paced. It’s so annoying when authors go on for god-knows-how-long about the colour of a guy’s eyes and all the varying shades they take. But Day described each character’s features and didn’t need to repeat it a million times, she got her point across and moved on to more important things which I loved. She gave just enough context for the novella to feel whole on its own and I wasn’t left feeling like I’d missed things. I definitely want more though!

“If this was a dream, it was one she never wanted to wake up from.”

No comments:

Post a Comment