Monday, March 25, 2013

Review: Losing It (Losing It #1) by Cora Carmack

Firstly, thanks to Random House for this NetGalley <3

Losing It (Losing It, #1)

Date Read: February 22 – 23 2013
Release Date: March 28th 2013
Publisher: Random House UK/Ebury Publishing
Source: NetGalley
Genre: Contemporary
My rating: 

Synopsis:
“Virginity.
Bliss Edwards is about to graduate from college and still has hers. Sick of being the only virgin among her friends, she decides the best way to deal with the problem is to lose it as quickly and simply as possible-- a one-night stand. But her plan turns out to be anything but simple when she freaks out and leaves a gorgeous guy alone and naked in her bed with an excuse that no one with half-a-brain would ever believe. And as if that weren't embarrassing enough, when she arrives for her first class of her last college semester, she recognizes her new theatre professor. She'd left him naked in her bed about 8 hours earlier.”

---

“We want what we can’t have. It’s human nature.”

I was extremely hesitant to read this book as the premise seemed to be that being a virgin in college was a bad thing. There is nothing wrong with being a virgin while in college – if you’re not ready and you haven’t found the right person then why would you give away something you can’t take back? But the amount of hype and positive reviews surrounding this broke my resolve and I just had to check it out. And I’m really glad I did because this was such a cute book (I think a LOT of people have labelled this cute) that I couldn’t stop reading until the last page.

What I really liked about Losing It was that it addressed one of my issues immediately – the whole reason why Bliss left that delectable, British specimen, NAKED in her own apartment was because she wasn’t ready. Points to Bliss for actually having sense! The course of the book then shows Bliss’ growth and understanding that just because she doesn’t want to be a virgin, doesn’t mean she’s ready for sex. I loved how she came to realise she wasn’t ready until she was in love. Also, I absolutely loved Bliss’ insanely awkward personality. She was a bit of a control-freak, overanalysing every situation and so paranoid – her thoughts were so relatable and funny, I liked her instantly!

“Like a complete psycho, I leaned my face into the pillow and sniffed like girls in books and movies always do to see if I could still catch his scent. I couldn’t. And I felt super creepy.”

Now, aforementioned delectable British specimen. It would be a crime to explain him in such a manner and then leave y’all hanging as I talk about other things. SO. Garrick Taylor. WOOOOOAH *SWOONS* gorgeous accent, soft blonde hair, bright blue eyes that turned dark when staring into Bliss’ and washboard abs! I was a goner from the first mention. Gah can he be any more perfect? He was so sweet, caring, understanding and undeniably sexy I just wanted to hug him all to myself. I think Garrick’s one of the most constant book boyfriends I’ve ever read. And when I mean constant, I mean he was always there for Bliss, never hurting her, holding her up figuratively and literally.

“The world fell over, bent sideways, broken. And it cradled me, taking me with it, but instead of dying, I fell into the warmth, solid and strong.”

OhmysweetGOODNESS the romance! Let me get the bad out of the way first. I felt there was a bit of insta-like bordering on insta-love. Carmack tried to dispel the insta-like/love but I felt she fell short of achieving this. Despite Bliss saying she wasn’t falling in love, I could still see things moving too fast and her feelings developing in a matter of short chapters. However, the romance was so SWEET and it made me feel so warm and fuzzy I think I was floating half the time. Carmack doesn’t hold back on the steaminess and man can she create sexual tension! I think I paused a couple of times to fan myself because dang was it HOT! Garrick was sexy as hell and so seductive – yet adorable at the same time… is that even possible? I DON’T CARE BECAUSE IT’S TRUE.

“His tongue slid against mine, and my hand beneath his shirt came back to life, curling around his side, pulling closer until my pelvis pressed into his hip. The kiss was leisurely and divine, but too slow, slow, slow.”

I’m not really sure how I felt about the supporting characters. I really disliked Bliss’ best friend Kelsey – she was trying to improve Bliss’ moods when she was down, but it was in a really selfish way and I just wasn’t convinced. Cade on the other hand, oh sweet Cade. Fell in love with him instantly! He was sort of the boy next door and I couldn’t help but think of him as wounded puppy at times. I’m super excited to read his story in Faking It!

Not an overly big issue, but I felt that there could have been more depth to the characters at times – especially Garrick. In particular situations it was like he was there only for making out purposes and his back story was a bit lacking too. Other than being a teacher, I wanted him to have a purpose too. But like I said, no biggy and the main plot of Bliss trying to sort out things with Garrick smoothed over this minor detail. On the other hand, I admired Bliss’ independence. There may have been an insanely hot and sexy teacher who was smitten with her but she wasn’t about to let him control her life!

“And Garrick can be cool or not with it; he doesn’t decide what I do.”

I really liked the writing style Carmack employed. Her descriptions were detailed and I loved the techniques she weaved into Bliss’ hilarious thoughts (always a good sign when a debut author can show). The physical descriptions were especially a great read and it really allowed me to take in Bliss’ surroundings and feel what she felt.

“Each step felt like a nail gun had been taken to my heels, my knees, my hips.”
“Shampoo became the villain of my story, stinging my eyes and exhausting me as I tried to rub it in and rinse it out. It felt like hours before the water ran clear enough for me to open my eyes with them burning. And then I couldn’t convince myself to do it again with conditioner.”

This was such a feel good book I’m definitely buying the paperback when it comes out to get some more Garrick! I feel all peaceful and content just writing the review. Re-reading bits to find quotes had me biting my lip and smiling hehe.

“It was the sun, and it held me in its arms, called me by name, touched me from forehead to toes. I fell asleep cradled in the sky in the arms of a star.”

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed this one too. It was quite a funny read. Great review!

    ReplyDelete