Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Review: Fallen Too Far (Fallen Too Far #1) by Abbi Glines

Fallen Too Far (Too Far, #1)

Date Read: December 27 - 30 2012
Release Date: December 14th 2012
Publisher: Self-published
Source: Bought
Genre: Contemporary
My rating: 

Synopsis: 
"To want what you’re not supposed to have…
She is only nineteen.
She is his new stepfather’s daughter.
She is still naïve and innocent due to spending the last three years taking care of her sick mother.
But for twenty-four year old Rush Finlay, she is the only thing that has ever been off limits. His famous father’s guilt money, his mother’s desperation to win his love, and his charm are the three reasons he has never been told no.
Blaire Wynn left her small farmhouse in Alabama, after her mother passed away, to move in with her father and his new wife in their sprawling beach house along the Florida gulf coast. She isn’t prepared for the lifestyle change and she knows she’ll never fit into this world. Then there is her sexy stepbrother who her father leaves her with for the summer while he runs off to Paris with his wife. Rush is as spoiled as he is gorgeous. He is also getting under her skin. She knows he is anything but good for her and that he’ll never be faithful to anyone. He is jaded and has secrets Blaire knows she may never uncover but even knowing all of that…
Blaire just may have fallen too far."

---

"I had fallen too far."

Having previously read Abbi's other books I wasn't sure I'd like Fallen Too Far. I gave Breathe (Sea Breeze #1) 3 stars, Just For Now (Sea Breeze #4) and The Vincent Boys 4 stars each. They were generally enjoyable but I found that each was very predictable: innocent good girl falls for the bad boy but because of reasons they can't be together, the reason gets resolved and it's happily ever after.

While reminiscent of the good-girl-falls-for-bad-boy plot, Fallen Too Far was anything but predictable.

One of the reasons I gave Breathe a lower rating was due to the poor writing. I found that Abbi's sentences were too short and simplistic. But woah has she improved! Although I still found many sentences to be too short, there was a depth to them that I found lacking in her earlier works. That was a huge factor in making me like the book more and I finished it much faster as I wasn't frustrated with the writing.

Of course we still have innocent, good girl Blaire who falls for the bad boy, Rush, but seriously who won't fall for this silver eyed wonder? He's insanely hot with his toned body, messy hair and tattoos. Oh and he's a sex god.

"Those eyes of his were incredible. The thick black lashes that framed them almost looked like eyeliner."

"Sweet" Blaire isn't actually all that innocent - "I can handle a gun. Very well." - with the way she confidently points her gun *grins* What I liked about Blaire was that she only turned to Rush as a last resort - left homeless after selling the house to pay for her late mother's medical bills, Blaire is pretty much self-sufficient and doesn't like people doing things for her. I  could really relate to her independence.

Kudos to Abbi for no insta-love! In fact it was more like insta-aversion which I loved. It just added more fuel to the fire hehe. But ohmygoodness there was so much sexual tension between Blaire and Rush!!! Abbi never disappoints with her steamy scenes and the amount of times I blushed and went O_O was too many to count.

"His tongue came out and took a quick swipe at the tender skin on my neck then he trailed kisses along my jawline until his mouth hovered over mine."
"Rush slipped his hand down to caress my knee and then ran it up the inside of my thigh."

And guiiiiseee? That's the more innocent stuff LOL.
What made Fallen Too Far so damn amazing was that it wasn't just Blaire and Rush being attracted to each other and that they eventually get over their differences and ride off into the sunset. No. From the very beginning Rush established that he has dark secrets that could ruin Blaire. And every time either of them get too close, this secret looms above them. It was so bloody suspenseful but the pace was so perfect that not once did I get impatient and flick to the end. Rather, every page just added to the anticipation and dread of what the secret could be. The best thing? YOU WILL NEVER GUESS WHAT IT IS!!! The plot twist was simply brilliant. I never suspected what it was, and it was done in a way that was so plausible I couldn't find any plot holes. It's mind blowing yet I was like "oh my god that makes perfect sense". Well played Abbi, well played.

That plot twist ripped me apart, and I seriously felt ALLLLLL the feels. Get your tissues ready!

"Everyone always said that love was enough. It wasn't. Not when your soul was shattered"

No comments:

Post a Comment