Thursday, July 18, 2013

15 Day Book Blogger Challenge: Day 5



The 15 Day Book Blogger Challenge was started by April @ Good Books and Good Wine on a whim as she wanted to do a blogging challenge related to books and was in a bit of a slump.

Day 5: Recommend a tear jerker

For this one I'm going to skip over The Fault in Our Stars because I'm sure everybody knows how much of a tear jerker that is, and has read it so there's no point recommending a book everybody knows and loves (:

Picking just ONE tear jerker was hard. A lot of books have made me cry at some point - quite a few at the end and a lot near the end of a series. But what made me pick the book I'm mentioning here today is the overall depth of the story, the characters, the plot, and how heart wrenching it was as a whole; there were so many bleak and heart breaking moments in this book balanced by hopeful ones that only got shattered - and this, THIS is the reason why Between the Lives by Jessica Shirvington (Sci-fi) is the tear jerker I recommend.

Synopsis:
"Above all else, though I try not to think about it, I know which life I prefer. And every night when I Cinderella myself from one life to the next a very small, but definite, piece of me dies. The hardest part is that nothing about my situation has ever changed. There is no loophole.

Until now, that is...


For as long as she can remember, Sabine has lived two lives. Every 24 hours she Shifts to her ′other′ life - a life where she is exactly the same, but absolutely everything else is different: different family, different friends, different social expectations. In one life she has a sister, in the other she does not. In one life she′s a straight-A student with the perfect boyfriend, in the other she′s considered a reckless delinquent. Nothing about her situation has ever changed, until the day when she discovers a glitch: the arm she breaks in one life is perfectly fine in the other.

With this new knowledge, Sabine begins a series of increasingly risky experiments which bring her dangerously close to the life she′s always wanted... But just what - and who - is she really risking?"


These are only the tissues I used up at the end! You can read my review here

I just adore Between the Lives so much <3

Other good tear jerkers I'd recommend:

If I Stay

If I Stay (If I Stay #1) by Gayle Forman - this book HURT so much. When 17-yo cellist Mia and her whole family are involved in a car crash, Mia is left in a critical condition and must decide if she wants to stay... Or move on. The book is set in a sort of limbo as Mia looks over her life and these memories impact on her choice. Its companion, Where She Went, is one of my favourite books of all time.

Slammed (Slammed, #1)

Slammed (Slammed #1) by Colleen Hoover - every one of the books in the Slammed series (there are 3, the last one came out not long ago) have made me cry at some point. I think the last 3/4 of Slammed had me in a blubbering mess. When Lake (Layken), her brother and mum move to a new state after the death of her father, Lake meets the handsome Will Cooper. They instantly share a connection but what ensues is a novel of heartbreak on so many levels.

The Sweetest Dark (The Sweetest Dark, #1)

The Sweetest Dark (The Sweetest Dark #1) by Shana Abe - oh my goodness the poetic writing in this added to the beauty and bittersweet feel of the story. I UGLY cried in this. Orphan Lora is accepted as a charity student by a prestigious English girl's boarding school at the beginning of WWI. Here she meets two boys that change her and who she is forever. Filled with so much love and uncertainty, this book made me cry so much I still can't bring myself to read the sequel.

Everything Left Unsaid

Everything Left Unsaid by Jessica Davidson - An Aussie YA set in the final year of high school for best friends Juliet and Tai. They're just beginning to see something beyond high school when Tai finds out that he's sick. A book of first love, grief and living life to its fullest.

On the Jellicoe Road

On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta - It's Melina. Need I say more? This woman can do anything. My favourite book of hers actually. A story about a girl and how her past and present collide in a beautiful mystery, set amidst high school territory wars in the Australian countryside.

I got teary typing up the summaries for every one of these books.

2 comments:

  1. Gahhhh so many books to make me feel all the feels. D: I need to get cracking on reading Between The Lines. After The Violet Eden Chapters I know that Jessica Shirvington is an AMAZING author so I have no excuse now. Except fear of becoming a sobbing emotional mess afterwards, but hey what can you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. READ BETWEEN THE LIVES ALICE. You have it right? I remember you telling me you bought it? So good you won't regret it! Shirvington's writing <3

      Delete